Founded 1799 as Bauakademie (Building Academy), became Technische Hoschschule 1879. The Bergakademie (Mining Academy), founded 1770, was incorporated in 1916. Reopened as Technische Universität in 1946. Reorganized 1969 and faculties replaced by series of Fachbereiche (departments). The structural reform decided by the Berlin University of Technology came into force officially in October 1993. As part of this reform, the number of departments was reduced from 22 to 15, and again reformed, reducing the number of faculties to 8.