Founded 1849 as Technical School in Brno, a bilingual German-Czech institute. Reorganized 1899 as Czech Technical University of Franz Joseph in Brno. Became the Czech Technical University of Brno 1918 and Technical University of Dr. E. Beneš in Brno 1937. Closed during the German occupation, reopened 1945, and acquired present title 1956. An institution financed by the State. Also derives income from research undertaken for industry.